[Gllug] IPv6 and firewalls

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Tue Aug 11 22:48:20 UTC 2009

On Tue 11 Aug, Joel Bernstein wrote:

> On 11 Aug 2009, at 10:45, Chris Bell wrote:
> >   IPv6 is an available option,
>
> Where? And for what?
>
> > and I have been looking at IPv6 firewalling
>
> Why? Do you have IP6 connected boxen? What do they do on IP6?
>
> I realise this is GLLUG, home of the cranks and hobbyist admin-
> pretenders, but seriously, *why*?
>
> /joel
>
> > Chris Bell NEW address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
>
> It's been "NEW" as long as I've been on the list.
>
> > Microsoft sells you Windows ... Linux gives you the whole house.
>
> Oh $deity...

   IPv6 is available, and I am trying to obtain some experience before I am
forced to use it. I can see a need for a network update elsewhere, and
perhaps introduce IPv6 capability at the same time.
   There is likely to be a relatively slow initial uptake of IPv6, but
reaching a critical tipping point when significant numbers of sites are
unable to obtain IPv4 addresses and compatibility is required. This would be
similar to needing an OS replacement juust to be able to read correspondence
received in the next version of word.

Chris Bell NEW address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk