[Gllug] Alan Turing petition

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Aug 5 10:42:04 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, 4 Aug 2009, - Tethys wrote:
>Damerell<damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>It is the same Crown's Government. It's even the same Queen.
>>I don't see that it will do a lot of good, but there clearly is some
>>continuity in the British state between then and now.
>Yes, but equally, there are clearly thousands of injustices committed
>by previous governments. I'd rather the current government spent its
>time and effort fixing the problems of today, rather than apologising
>for the actions of its predecessors.

I also said I don't think it will do any good.

I'm just saying, there obviously is some continuity between Queen
Elizabeth II's Government in 1954 and the same woman's Government in
2009, and to suggest that the current government _cannot_ meaningfully
apologise now for the actions of the British state then is absurd.

Yesterday was Wednesday, July.
Today is Thursday, July.
Tomorrow will be Friday, July.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk