[Gllug] Linux workstation admin simpler than OS X

Lesley Binks lesleyb at pgcroft.net
Mon Aug 3 06:19:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 11:47:18PM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 13:01 +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:
>
> > Err.. My Ubuntu copes with WPA2 just fine. ath5x driver.
> >
> > Where did you read that newbies should use WICD? It can't have been
> > anywhere official- the forums?
> >
> > Caroline
>
> I'm not suggesting that it was\ "official" advice!  See here:

> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22744133-cannot-get-wireless-going
>
> http://fixunix.com/ubuntu/544170-wicd-gnome-network-manager.html
>
> I found NM to be entirely useless on every laptop I tried it on, but it
> they all worked fine with WICD.

I installed Ubuntu on a desktop machine sitting on a static network more than
two years ago.  Network Mangler was a very real pain at that time on a static network.
I subsequently worked to remove it from any install of any distro it appeared on.

It seems to manage my laptp fine running the current stable Debian and I'm currently
not working with a static network so I can't really say if it handles static networks properly
yet or whether some ubergruppenfuhrer (apologies no umlauts :| ) still insists on DHCP
and nothing but DHCP.

Regards

L.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk