[Gllug] Wireless kit recommendation

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 19:08:53 UTC 2009

I have a TI AR7-based wireless router at home and it works fine,   although I
do not actually use the wifi part (I prefer hard-wired connections). The router
just happened to come with a wifi capability.
Connection is around  6Mbps and appears generally stable.

The other TI AR7-based router (non-wireless) in the office also seems to perform
fine, although at a much lower connection speed due to our huge distance from
the exchange.  This partyicular connection is stable most of the time, although
we have had periods of instability due to line quality.
We also have a Vigor router in the office which also performs well - but these
are out of your price range I believe.

The user interfaces are rather different between the Vigor and the AR7 routers,
but both offer good NAT/firewalling capabilities.  A web search should certainly
provide some good info the TI-AR7 router software and its web interface.  Simple
NAT setup is easy to achieve.

Regrettably, I think its a case of suck it and see with routers - ADSL
technology would seem to be a case of putting a quart in a pint pot.  Despite
the claims of 8mbps I believe only the lucky few within reasonable proximity of
the exchange actually get that.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk