[Gllug] Reasonable graphics card for light 3D / compiz in Ubuntu Jaunty

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Aug 12 00:48:53 UTC 2009

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 18:46 +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com
> wrote:
>
>> general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>>

>>> So... if any of you have a Jaunty setup + current PCIe gfx card that is
>>> happy with Google Earth (and general 3D) I'd appreciate a
>>> recommendation. My monitors native res is 1280x1024 VGA only and I don't
>>> play games so it really doesn't have to be anything special. I suppose I
>>> can live with proprietary drivers too as long as they work solidly.

<snip>
> I have one of these things:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
> 5500] (rev a1)
>
> Cheap as chips these days I think. Not particularly noisy either, though
> not something you'd use in an audio studio, but the cpu fans are louder.

Thanks Adrian,

Sadly I can't find anyone selling those though. Anyone else got a
recommendation I might be able to get from dabs, ebuyer or amazon?

I'm not too au fait with the contemporary graphics card scene as I've
never felt the need for decent 3D until now. I have seen several linux
PC builders offering systems with 9400GT based cards onboard, is that
because they have great compatibility or just coz they're cheap? Also,
how much are the manufacturers responsible for good compatibility these
days? i.e. Is there much difference between different vendors hardware
or are all cards using a particular nVidia series pretty virtually
identical?

Cheers :)

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk