[Gllug] Linux SANs

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:03:05 UTC 2009

JLMS wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> JLMS wrote:

>>> This is completely unrealistic.
>>>
>>> One is not going to compete with EMC, Netapps or Sun. In the larger
>>> end they would simply laugh at you, in the lower end whatever you have
>>> to offer would not scale
>>>
>> Obviously. I actually interpreted that to mean it would be worth getting
>> SAN skills... not setting up shop to try to compete with the big
>> vendors!!! =-O
>>

> I see. I clearly misunderstood.
>
> I was intending to learn some SAN (EMC) skills, but their website is
> so hopelessly disorganized that I was losing the will to live.
>
> I got the impression that they will not ptovide you the training
> unless you are sponsored by an employer who is already using the
> technology.
>
> But of course all the jobs available out there require that you bring
> this knowledge to the table. Employers are  really shooting themselves
> in the foot with this one, the techies that could do this kind of work
> comfortably are out there, but most will not have the particular skill
> already...

I've already been bitten by this catch-22 situation with a couple of
potential employers, despite being obviously better skilled overall than
the techies they already had at one of the places. Frustrating to say
the least.

It's difficult to break in to, and there aren't that many jobs for it,
but when there are, they are very particular about you bringing
everything to the table before they accept you, which is silly, because
if you brought everything to the table, then there probably wouldn't be
any financial incentive in significant salary rise to justify the move.

The real kicker though is the lack of solid information out there, it
seems like a closed club, pay a few £KKK for vendor courses or stay out.
Which is just great especially when you work for an employer who gives
no training at all.

I have to agree, employers are shooting themselves in the foot and
denying themselves talent because they fail to realize that it's about
ability and potential, not just tick boxes.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon