[Gllug] Alexandria and bar code scanners

Paul Rayner Paul.Rayner at ylemsolutions.com
Mon Aug 10 22:36:16 UTC 2009

On 9 Aug 2009, at 12:20, James Laver wrote:

> But it's an arse to do. It takes me an average of 10 seconds to scan
> one, when I could type in the ISBN much faster if I had a numpad (alas
> my unicomp is at my client's site and this is a crappy apple
> minikeyboard).

If anyone's interested I've been playing with some barcode scanning
apps on my shiny new HTC Hero. It takes about 2-4 seconds to scan a
barcode and does it 'live' - no picture taking required. I haven't
tried coding for it (yet) but it looks fairly straightforward:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/android-barcode-scanner/

Regards,

Paul

--