[Gllug] FreeSwan or OpenVPN or something else

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Aug 6 13:07:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 05:31:48PM +0530, Narender wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> i want to  implement a vpn server for 30 VPN clients.
>
> could someone please advise which server should i use.
>
> looking forward for suggestions

It's hard to say without knowing what OS the server and clients
are running, where they are, and what they want to do when they
connect.

Generally speaking I find IPSec (FreeSWAN etc) good for permanent
network-to-network connections, and OpenVPN good for getting a
single host (eg roaming laptop) access to the LAN.

OpenVPN has the ability to use a username and password for
authentication, but a passphrase protected certificate is safer.