[Gllug] Font rendering on Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 9.04

gvim gvimrc at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 26 00:15:48 UTC 2009

I recently installed Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 9.04 on the same hardware to determine which would be the better option for graphics work. I was surprised to find that without any 3rd party nVidia drivers and with identical settings in Gnome Preferences > Appearance > Fonts, font rendering was markedly inferior within Fedora. I next installed Lucida Grande from my Mac, which improved things quite a bit but still Ubuntu looked much better. How come identical basic settings vary so much between distros?

I have to add that font rendering in Mozilla apps - Firefox and Thunderbird - was so bad that I went running back to OS X for anything other than server work. I was hoping Fedora would be usable as I prefer it for server work but it just isn't there graphically.  Maybe there needs to be a standard for basic settings that application developers can rely on? LSB is one thing but a unified GUI would, I'm sure, help Linux adoption and application development.

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk