[Gllug] SMTP delays - which end is at fault?

Alan Marsh alanmarsh1965 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 19:02:23 UTC 2009

I'm finding email from Yahoo to my Bytemark address is subject to intermittent delays but I can't be sure which end of the transaction between Yahoo and Fasthosts/Livemail is at fault. Fasthosts forwards to my server at Bytemark and a typical header contains these selections (addresses anonymised):

	by myserver.bytemark.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTP id ADE3E2C1A8
	for <mail at myserver.bytemark.co.uk>; Sun,  2 Aug 2009 15:13:01 +0100 (BST)

	by smtp-in-105.livemail.co.uk (Postfix) with SMTP id 9B7132BDF28
	for <mail at mydomain.co.uk>; Sun,  2 Aug 2009 15:13:02 +0100 (BST)

	by smtp-in-105.livemail.co.uk (Postfix) with SMTP id 708CD2BDF28
	for <mail at mydomain.co.uk>; Sun,  2 Aug 2009 15:13:02 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 09:37:47 +0000 (GMT)

Can it be determined whether Yahoo is taking 4 and 1/2 hour to forward the message or whether Livemail is holding it in the queue for 4 and 1/2 hours before processing?

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk