[Gllug] MS Exchange - groupware replacement

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Aug 6 15:04:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 03:55:21PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 15:37 +0100, Geo wrote:
> > Do you really want Uncle Sam's snoops getting access to the private writing of
> > a british  based company ?
>
> The same could be said for any online service. Doesn't mean it actually
> happens.

It depends on how ''interesting'' you are.

> > Better check the legality of your actions before commiting
>
> Are there any such legal restrictions? Other than those specific to
> national security (where it seems the norm is to simplify matters by
> copying sensitive materials to a usb stick or CDROM and abandoning it in
> public) I don't think there are any legal limits on outsourcing such
> systems.

Data protection. If your email contains personal information then you must keep
it inside the UK/EU - and definitely away from the USA which has poor personal data
protection laws -- regardless of Uncle Sam snooping at it anyway.

If you are a solicitor then you must show ''due diligence'' in guarding customer
privacy.

Remember: a lot of email is between individuals in the *same* company, so it would
not have been through the big nasty Internet anyway - unless you outsource to google/...

In my customer's case: a web based solution is not desirable since they are in
the styx with not great Internet speeds, so continually downloading email (every time
that it is read) would be slower that just receiving it once and serving up locally.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk