[Gllug] spam

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Aug 7 08:51:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 08:15:59AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Thu 06 Aug, Diana Scott wrote:
> >
> > I have been receiving 10 - 15 spam email every day since early June
> > this year. I was shocked to find out some of the regular spam have my
> > email address as the sending address but in a different sender name
> > sending it back to my email account. When it arrives, the sender
> > appeared as "Me". Do you know how the spammers find my email address
> > and how do they fake the sender id as ME sending it back to the
> > original address  ?
>
>    Friends using M$ get many like that.
>

> > What do they gain by sending these spam email ? What do I need to do
> > to get my email address off from the spammers mailing lists or stop
> > receiving from them ? Can "Report to phishing" stop them spamming?
>
>    I report all phishing attempts to the organisation being faked.
>

> > Are there any government agencies that help to control email spamming
> > in the UK ? Are they breaking any law by sending fake id spamming ?
>
>    You must be joking. The government may have created some named
> organisations, and set aside a shared seat in some office.

Well there's also the government departments that want to snoop on all our
email. They must have come up with a good way identify spam, if they're to
stand any chance of spotting the real messages from 'terrorists' amongst
the billions sent. So it should be a simple matter for them to block
all this spam while they're snooping on our mail ;-P

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|