[Gllug] Wireless kit recommendation

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Mon Aug 3 21:28:50 UTC 2009

   I am just over a mile, perhaps 2 KM, from my local exchange, getting just
under 9 Mbps continuously on a TI AR7-based wireless router. It is sited
right beside the BT NTE5 termination fitted with a full BT specification
replacement ADSL filter front panel, so it is completely isolated from the
internal house telephone wiring. Make sure that the modem is well ventilated
as the chips inside do get hot. I was even supplied with a replacement heat
sink for the main chip designed to drop the temperature by about 10 degrees.
   No problems with the configuration of the 4-way ethernet connection via
its web pages, and configuration of the wireless link looks easy enough,
although I am not using it at present, but there is no mention of IPv6 in
the setup (although I have been assured that it can work). I am waiting to
see any software upgrades supplied by the manufacturers.

Chris Bell NEW address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk