[Gllug] security check

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:42:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:28 AM, James Laver<gllug at jameslaver.com> wrote:

> Sainsburys have a policy whereby purchases over £10 require ID for
> signature cards (presumably because most of their staff are too stupid
> to look at the signature on the card and match it with the receipt).

I'm guessing that's a trait of your particular branch of Sainsbury's.
None of the ones I use ask me for additional ID. I have had a couple
of places ask, but not Sainsbury's.

The most bizarre request I've had was from a branch of Game, who
demanded that I sign twice, on two separate slips of paper ("because
it's official policy for signature cards"). I pointed out that that
would give them two signatures authorizing the transaction and that
they could then legitimately charge me twice. The staff gave me blank
looks, and clearly didn't understand the problem. I took my card back,
and walked out with the goods, which I'd already paid for by that
point.

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk