[Gllug] Laptop shopping

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Sat Aug 15 10:12:34 UTC 2009

The previous thread about laptops has reminded me that GLLUG would be
a good group of people to ask about laptops.

I'm still of the opinion that the best laptop I've seen is the last
Macbook Pro before they released the unibody one. I saw one the other
day and I had to hit myself hard to stop me just buying it on impulse.
I used to have one of these (albeit at a lower spec than this
fantastic specimen) and sadly left it in a cab one time.

I'm currently in the market for a new laptop myself, and I'm very much
struggling to find something I wouldn't hate to use (apart from the
aforementioned macbook pro), and this one will be running some form of
linux that excludes NetworkMangler.

So here's what I'm after:
A nice clockspeed modern low-ish power-drawing chip. that supports 64
bit (don't they all these days?). I was looking at Atom for longer
battery life, but core2 could work I guess.
Can take at least 2G (preferably 4G) of RAM (which should help with
firefox)
Phenomenally long battery life (hence Atom)
Replaceable battery (critically important)
High resolution screen, preferably at 12" size, 13 would be alright
too. I still lust over the old powerbook 12"...
Wifi (does anything *not* ship with Wifi these days?)
DVD-RW drive

The focus on this one is quality, I've little time for crappy things,
however cheap they may be. This one will be going to replace my aging
IBM-branded stinkpad which has a crappy screen resolution.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk