[Gllug] Wireless and Linux

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 09:04:59 UTC 2009

--------

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk writes:

>You can go even further Gnome and KDE provide Desktop Environments.
>Window Managers don't.

Just curious... how are you defining "Desktop Environment"? What is
it that GNOME and KDE provide that a window manager doesn't? You
know that both of them supply their own window manager, right? And
that you can replace their "standard" window manager with your own?
So the fact that you're running fvwm or windowmaker or whatever
doesn't mean you have to lose whatever else it is that GNOME or KDE
provide.

FWIW, in all these years, I still haven't got anyone to give me a
concrete description of what either GNOME or KDE actually are. There's
always a lot of handwaving and talk of Desktop Environments, but no
one seems to know. AFAIK, it's some combination of window manager,
application launcher, file manager, an API and a bunch of applications.
But it's all very vague. And (in the GNOME and KDE implementations, at
least) full of rampant layering violations, AFAICT.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk