[Gllug] Alan Turing petition

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Aug 5 07:26:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 23:38 +0100, JLMS wrote:
> > Because apologising to a man dead since 1954 is going to make all the
> > difference in the world.
>
> Not to him certainly, but we are not islands, other people would find
> comfort in such an apology for all kind of solid reasons.

If our society still criminalised being gay or still engaged in forced
chemical "punishment" on that basis that claim might hold some validity.
Society however is very different now in respect of how we, on the
whole, consider homosexuality.

> > It's not even the same government that is being asked to apologise but
> > one in place 54 years later.
>
> It is not the government who would be apologizing, it is the British
> State, or crown, or whatever you need to call it formally.

So? What is the value of an apology that has no meaning to anyone
involved?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk