[Gllug] Linux workstation admin simpler than OS X

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Aug 1 15:47:31 UTC 2009

On 01/08/09 10:21, Tethys wrote:
[...]
> I've never used OS X in anger, so I can't comment. What I *can* say
> is that sysadmin on Linux[1] is getting harder than it used to be. For
> example, my latest annoyance is the latest version of Fedora, which
> doesn't even let you configure a network on install.

You can force the issue, as it happens...

> It seems you're
> supposed to use the NetworkManager applet when you log in for the first
> time instead. I'm sure that works well if you're using the machine as a
> single user workstation with the default settings. But apparently the
> concept that people might do other things with it doesn't seem to have
> occurred to anyone. Conform! It's just like being on Windows...

> FWIW, I don't run a GNOME desktop so I don't have a NetworkManager
> applet, and even if I did, my home directory is NFS mounted and I
> authenticate with NIS, so I can't even log in until the network is
> up. When I reported this, the result was CLOSED NOTABUG :-(

NetworkManager is started before login these days, IIRC

To them, it won't be a bug - they designed it that way. How can it
possibly be wrong? <removes tongue from cheek>

> Linux From Scratch is looking more and more tempting every day.

Been there, done that. Several times. Believe me when I say it isn't
easier :)

> Yes, I was able to edit /etc/sysconfig/network{,-scripts/ifcfg-eth0}
> to get a working network to allow me to log in. But if anyone seriously
> thinks that's easier than entering an IP address/mask and gateway at
> install time, then their world view differs significantly from mine.

They've hidden this, to be sure (I'm sure they think it makes things
simpler...) but you *can* do it by adding one argument to the boot line
  - 'asknetwork.

> I'm not sure what anyone installing on a headless server is supposed
> to do. And before anyone comments, yes I know Fedora isn't ideal on
> a server, but the Fedora of today is the RHEL of tomorrow. Apparently
> RHEL6 is due to be based on F11, and from what I've seen so far, that's
> a scary thought and doesn't bode well for the future.

kickstart? Or using the VNC option, with all its security implications.

In fact I think this is the intention, as you cannot customise anything
in the text mode installer any more - No custom partitioning, no package
selection, no options at all, really.
This would also be closed as NOTABUG if you opened it.

I'm just testing this now (although I don't have a headless machine, I
can test with the 'text' mode installation, which you would have to use
this way.

** observations of a manual text-mode install of F11

1. You can set static networking using the 'asknetwork' boot parameter
- Installing in text mode means that NetworkManager is not installed
(hurrah ?).

2. If you do this, you get runlevel 3 only and 'base' and 'mail server'
installed. (well, you get 'exim', which s a departure from fedora of old
and a surprise to me...)

3. There is no partitioning option in the text installer.

4. After installation need to login manually as root and run
chkconfig network on; service network start.
But it does remember the static settings you used earlier.

** graphical mode

1. The 'asknetwork' parameter does work and NetworkMangler honours it

2. NetworkManager starts before login, so you should be able to use NIS
and NFS homedirs.

conclusion:
If you actually want control, use kickstart (or VNC, but then you have
to go through removing GNOME etc etc)

For kickstart without DHCP you'll need to set static networking at the
boot prompt like so:
<other boot args> ip=x.x.x.x netmask=x.x.x.x gateway=x.x.x.x dns=x.x.x.x
ks=...

but it does work :)

Regards,

Stuart