[Gllug] spam

Phil Reynolds phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Sun Aug 9 09:10:42 UTC 2009

Quoting "James Laver" <gllug at jameslaver.com>:

> On 7 Aug 2009, at 09:54, Phil Reynolds wrote:
>
>> Quoting "Bruce Richardson" <itsbruce at workshy.org>:
>>
>>> Ironically, spammers are now some of the most enthusiastic users of
>>> SPF.
>>
>> Well, yes, good point but it stops them forging my address (and those
>> of other adopters) without it being verifiable.
>
> But more importantly, helps combat botnets of compromised windows
> machines sending spam.

Yes, especially that.

> Since I started using tagged addresses on my domain, I've noticed
> firstly that I'm not getting as much spam (because I'm only using a
> given address on one site), and that a little reparative action of
> EOLing any addresses that are becoming a spam problem solves most of it.

I do the same now too - though it can lead to the odd problem if I
accidentally click the wrong one... like I did on the previous mail.
That one is EOL already though.

> The most spam (okay, UCE) that I get these days is from recruiters
> unable to do their job who just mailshot against simple keyword
> matches on their database. Oddly enough, my spam filters are marking
> it as spam without my intervention.

I don't often get to see what mine does - but that is a major source.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk