[Gllug] Need Broadband Modem that supports IPv6

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Aug 18 17:21:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 05:52:55PM +0100, Dan Kolb wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 04:41:36PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> > I changed ISP a few weeks ago as I want to use IPv6.
> >
> > I was recommended getting something and reflashing with OpenWRT, seemed simple enough.
> > First attempt was a Linksys WRT54GL which is advertised as a Broadband router.
> > I checked OpenWRT - it is well supported, however it expects a UTP connection to
> > the Internet - ie it does not have it's own built in modem :-(
> > Drat! I thought that I knew what I was doing - it seems not.
> >
> > People on this list seem to have Pv6 -- what do you recommend ? Preferably not costing the earth.
> >
> > I don't care if the modem will do wifi - I just want it to give me a UTP connection
> > to the Internet.
>
> You'll be wanting an ADSL modem set to go into bridging mode. This way it does
> the underlying magic to convert ethernet into phone line, but your computer
> actually handles the PPP connections.
>
> I've had good results using OpenBSD's pppoe(4) driver to do the connection;
> however, I think it still doesn't support IPv6. But the point is, it can be
> done.
>
> You have a spare old PC lying around, no?

The Linksys WRT54GL that I bought will do PPPoE. But it means an extra box, ie
to to do ADSL.

I would prefer to not do the PPP on my main box, I feel that it will be more robust
if I have something deliver IP4/IP6 over UTP. My main box is CentOS 5, this is where my
firewall is, it could do pppoe.

I may end up doing this.

I see that Enta say this is a way:

	http://noc.enta.net/ipv6-over-xdsl/

#20 from Amazon (not that I like buying from them):

	http://www.twenga.co.uk/specs-SpeedTouch-546-v6-THOMSON-Router-166609

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/