[Gllug] Maintaining music libraries in various formats

Steve Kemp steve at steve.org.uk
Sat Aug 22 16:16:25 UTC 2009

On Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 11:46:39 +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:56:34AM +0100, Steve Kemp wrote:
> >   If you coded a filesystem, via FUSE, you could have seamless mirrors
> >  of your music at:
>
> It came up in conversation with some friends about a music library and
> struck me as a cool way to do it. Do you know of anyone who has written a
> Fuse encoding filesystem yet?

 I  had a quick google prior to posting my reply to see if I could
 point you at something.  The only link I found was here:

    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/fuse/index.php?title=FileSystems

   "Yacufs is a virtual file system that is able to convert your files
   on-the-fly. It allows you to access various file types as a single
   file type. For instance you can access your music library containing
   .ogg, .flac and .mp3 files, but see them all as if being .mp3 files.
   "

  Unfortunately the link is dead, and the project appears to have
  disappeared.

  Still I don't think it would be too hard to do.  Perhaps my own
 simple starting guide will be useful:

    http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Creating_Filesystems_with_Ruby__and_FUSE

Steve
--