[Gllug] ACL solution to samba created unowned files?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun Aug 23 15:23:09 UTC 2009

Hi,

In Ubuntu samba shares with guest write access (i.e. folders writeable
by anyone on the network even without an account) result in unowned
files being generated in said folders. When I need to edit these files
(as I do, often) I have to chown them to my user and that is getting
tedious now.

I'm sure I remember using acls to get round this isue on a machine last
year but I'm damned if I can remember exactly how I did it! I think the
trick was using an ace to make all new files created in that folder
members of a group and then make my user a member of that group. Does
that sound right / plausible ? If so, can anyone enlighten me as to the
syntax / procedure?

Cheers,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk