[Gllug] security check

Phil Reynolds phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Tue Aug 11 11:47:49 UTC 2009

Quoting gllug at jameslaver.com:

> Sainsburys voided my transaction 3 times because it kept asking me
> to sign, thus causing Lloyds to apply a fraud block. Not taking my
> card is bad enough, but messing about and getting it blocked is just
> unacceptable.

Indeed... as is applying a fraud block that triggers in a place where
it is complicated to sort out and the staff have no idea how to. I
once had to argue "you do whatever it takes to take a payment using
this card - it is being voided by you, not declined due to
insufficient funds like the other one I got you to try - or you will
have to take that fuel back. Failing that I will have to go home to
get another means to pay, and I can't get there from here without the
car." - this puzzled them as they could not see a way to do anything
unless they could get that card to produce a transaction slip showing
"DECLINED" - I had deliberately presented a card on which funds were
insufficient when they first voided the transaction on the other card,
so that they could see the difference - it is perhaps a good thing
that I had one! At least I didn't have to explain to them the reason I
couldn't get home without the car - I was only a few months down the
line from my amputations and not that good at walking at that time.
Eventually we got the bank on the phone and they unblocked my card and
gave a code which would authorise the transaction - only for the bank
to both phone me and write to me over the same bunch of transactions
that I verified in that call later that week. When they phoned I
expressed my disgust at their action - it was quite normal for me to
use my card heavily between the last Thursday of a month and the
following Saturday, with which they agreed, but highly inconvenient
for them to block my card after the supermarket - my usual one for a
monthly shop too - so that I then had the bother of explaining it all
to non-too-intelligent staff at a fuel station. They claimed (and I
don't dispute it) that it was done "at random" - but claimed to have
noted my comments, especially when I told them later about being
checked in three ways when just one would have done.

I had an incident with Amazon a few months ago where it appeared
(Amazon were saying) that the same thing was happening. The bank were
saying otherwise - that it would be Amazon's bank checking, not them.
I explained that to Amazon and they tried to put it through again -
eventually managing it but not convincing me for some minutes that it
wouldn't once again be stopped.

> Perhaps a C+S card with a pin would be more appropriate for you?
> Personally I don't want the liability.

I wouldn't be without at least one C+P card - when travelling in
France and (especially) Belgium I find them great for getting petrol.

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk