[Gllug] Maintaining music libraries in various formats

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Sat Aug 22 06:54:32 UTC 2009

On Fri 21 Aug, Nix wrote:

> I have four 1Tb drives in my larger Nehalem (bought in May). They cost
> less than the disk controller they're attached to (admittedly, mainly
> cos it's a hardware RAID controller with a whopping cache).

   There was a report that a large cache may lead to lazy writing where
edits hit the real disc in the wrong order and cause data corruption. Some
discs were found to even ignore requests to complete a write immediately and
just indicate that the write was completed because it gives the impression
of speed to keep the advertisers happy.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk