[Gllug] How do I improve spamassassin's usefulness?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Aug 11 20:27:11 UTC 2009

I'm using spamassassin on my work email, classifying email mostly by
hand, and running sa-learn.  Unfortunately SA is still very bad at
sorting my email.  After about 6 months of doing this, I still get
lots of (very obvious) spam arriving in my inbox.  I'm left thinking
how long will SA take to get the idea that "EUROMILLIONS LOTTERY" is
not a subject I'm interested in.

Anyway, I have trained it on:
2,280 spams
countless ham (probably > 40,000)

At this point I think I must be using it wrong.

My email comes in from fetchmail and is filtered using a .procmailrc
using the recommended recipe at the top:

  # Send mail through spamassassin
  :0fw: spamassassin.lock
  * < 512000
  | spamassassin

  :0:
  mail/spam

  :0:
  mail/inspect

I run sa-learn (as me) regularly, on both spam and ham.

And I do get spam appearing in mail/inspect and mail/spam, so I am
sure that SA does run.  But I also get obvious spam with ridiculously
low scores in my inbox.

What am I doing wrong?

Rich.

--