[Gllug] IPv6 and firewalls

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 13:52:39 UTC 2009

So in Summary.....

IPv6 for get it its not worth the bother until you ISP needs you to
use it, which will not be any time soon.

You are probably already partially configured to use it. I discovered
I could ping other machines on my Lan using IPv6 but no names, and
software does not use it as standard.

You need to set up routing and DNS for it to work properly and need
some address space if you want to use it.

It just "We're running out of IPs" actually this is not really true
more of, "There are only a fixed number of IP and we need to be more
careful over what we use them for".

In short until some ISP starts connecting people to IPv6 that does
just work nobody will use it, It has to be seam less.

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk