[Gllug] Need Broadband Modem that supports IPv6

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Wed Aug 19 09:23:33 UTC 2009

On Wed 19 Aug, Dave English wrote:
< In message <20090818165255.GK15885 at hades.eco.li>, Dan Kolb
< <gllug at eco.li> writes
< >On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 04:41:36PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
< >> I changed ISP a few weeks ago as I want to use IPv6.
< >>
< >> I was recommended getting something and reflashing with OpenWRT,
< >>seemed simple enough.
< >> First attempt was a Linksys WRT54GL which is advertised as a
< >>Broadband router.
< >> I checked OpenWRT - it is well supported, however it expects a UTP
< >>connection to
< >> the Internet - ie it does not have it's own built in modem :-(
< >> Drat! I thought that I knew what I was doing - it seems not.
< >>
< >> People on this list seem to have Pv6 -- what do you recommend ?
< >>Preferably not costing the earth.
< >>
< >> I don't care if the modem will do wifi - I just want it to give me a
< >>UTP connection
< >> to the Internet.
< >
< >You'll be wanting an ADSL modem set to go into bridging mode. This way it does
< >the underlying magic to convert ethernet into phone line, but your computer
< >actually handles the PPP connections.
<
< AIUI, to do that properly, you need an ADSL Ethernet modem, explained
< here:
<
< http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html
<
< Regards
< --
< Dave English - dave at lutnos.com
<
<

   I have been told that the ORIGO ADSL2* modems (and other badges produced
by the same factory) using the AR7 chipset should work OK, my AR7WRD based
modem offers PPPoE, bridge mode, and other options, and I have been assured
that the factory engineers have tested for IPv6 compatibility. Please let me
know if you do hit a problem as I have a contact.
   Setup on my modem still uses IPv4 access to its internal http web access
pages, I have already asked about IPv6 access to these pages, but have not
yet tried as I am not yet running full IPv6.

   I believe that 3ADL in Park Royal do have stocks, (trade only, please
mention GLLUG). www.3adl.com

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk