[Gllug] Loopback mountable image file compression.

Phillip Lougher phillip.lougher at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 19:43:09 UTC 2009

Richard Jones <rich <at> annexia.org> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 09:12:06AM +0100, James Laver wrote:
> > I gather SquashFS is faster but less efficient at compression. I've
> > noticed it's quite popular with non-knoppix liveCDs. There's also
> > SquashFS-lzma you should look out for but I've not tested it, I've no
> > idea about it's attributes or even it's stability.
>
> SquashFS is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
>
> Rich.

Actually Squashfs isn't completely irrelevant to this discussion.  You can
put a filesystem image inside a SquashFS filesystem, it will be compressed
by SquashFS, and the filesystem can be loopback mounted.

In fact that's what the Fedora liveCD does, it has a SquashFS filesystem
that contains exactly one file, an ext3 filesystem image.

Phillip

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk