[Gllug] Linux workstation admin simpler than OS X

Steve Kemp steve at steve.org.uk
Sun Aug 2 14:52:37 UTC 2009

On Sun Aug 02, 2009 at 13:01:28 +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:

> Where did you read that newbies should use WICD? It can't have been
> anywhere official- the forums?

  This is a real problem: The forums are full of people making blanket
 statements which are often clearly untrue, and advising users to run
 random commands, often unrelated to a problem, until things are fixed
 by magic.

  Too often I've seen forum posts that just make me shudder for example
 posts that are full of recipes consisting of multiple steps like this:

    echo "some value" > /etc/blah

  Even if the advice is sometimes good there's no reasoning, just the blind
 leading the blind...

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/