[Gllug] Alan Turing petition

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:34:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Jason Clifford<jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 11:42 +0100, David Damerell wrote:
>> I'm just saying, there obviously is some continuity between Queen
>> Elizabeth II's Government in 1954 and the same woman's Government in
>> 2009, and to suggest that the current government _cannot_ meaningfully
>> apologise now for the actions of the British state then is absurd.
>
> How would an apology for the treatment of Turing be meaningful now?

It is very simple, if it is not meaningful to you, then you will
remain unconcerned by it.

I find very petty that people disregard such symbolic actions off hand
in such a casual manner (a "fashion"?), and the presentation of false
dichotomies in regards to political activism ("support X instead of
this").  We are not talking about the Roman Empire, we are talking
about the UK, which is the same now that it was in 1954, same head of
state for good measure (there are actual legal challenges against the
UK from around that time, and they are not thrown out of court off
hand just because they are "old").

I could list many examples in which such apologies actually matter,
but I think the list don't deserve to veer so far off topic, so I draw
my line regarding this right here.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk