[Gllug] IPv6 and firewalls

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Aug 15 18:14:58 UTC 2009

On 12 Aug 2009, Daniel P. Berrange verbalised:
> The fun bit is actually connecting your LAN to the interweb at large,
> since its unlikely your ISP will be providing IPv6 directly.

That's because even if they wanted to there isn't much in the way of
ADSL router tech that can send IPv6 to them over PPPoA.

Some (e.g. A&A) provide IPv6 tunnels. (But you knew that.)

> Setting up IPv6 really isn't anywhere near as hard as everyone makes
> it out to be.

I hear not :) I should get myself set up one of these days.

Getting reverse resolution working, well, currently it gets annoying
whenever your ISP moves between *its* upstream providers (and your IP
address changes): but the alternative (A6 RRs) was a wonderful example
of lunatic overdesign. There doesn't seem to be a good answer yet.
Sticking with tunnels forever would 'fix' it, but that seems sort
of ugly.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk