[Gllug] virgin/ntl/telewest plonkers

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 11:44:56 UTC 2009

2009/12/16 Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>:

> Arrrgh!
>
> I support a local school's IT systems. They are switching to
> NTL/Virgin for broadband access - since BT are incapable of providing
> anything better than 1.5MB/s access, so it has to be cable. We have
> succeeded in getting a fixed IP address from them - so the next thing
> is to ask them to set the reverse IP address on it so that various
> protocols (principally email) work properly.
>
> Their reply:
>
>        Unfortunately we are unable to configure customer reverse DNS for cable
>        modem Ip's.
>
> <rant>
> Whaaaat ?
> It is incredibly easy to do, they simply don't want to - or don't think
> that anybody would want to do that. What complete and utter plonkers.
> It just reinforces why I *never* recommend them as an ISP - they are as useless
> as BT-OpenWoes.
> </rant>
>
> Has anybody persuaded them to do so ?

The problem with Virgin, is that they have failed to recognise the
full potential of the service they operate.

What they should be able to do is quite different from what they
actually manage.

What they should be able to provide is "Ground Breaking" running
circles round round Sky (for TV) and any ADSL 2 service provider.

Instead what they provide is Competitive with extremely poor upload
speeds and TV that is barely comparable with Sky.

Peter.
(A Happy Virgin Customer that dreams of better! (Like every UK
Telecoms Customer))
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk