[Gllug] performance difference between a swap partition vs a swap file.>>>>>

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Thu Dec 3 07:08:29 UTC 2009

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 06:18:09PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
>
>> As another aside, there is a UK company building solid state disks
>> from real DRAM chips (rather than flash). Their web page has some
>> pretty big claims.
>>

> These disks are rather .. "forgetful" then?  Or do they have big
> batteries?
>
> Rich.

Basically yeah, you've been able to get battery backed dram disks for
many years now. They're not cheap and the batteries are only good for a
few hours/days but if you need ultra high IO performance for say a
database server and your database is larger than the OS / Hardware can
hold in normal RAM they're a good option.

I remember meeting a guy at a LAN party around 2000 who'd gotten hold of
a 4Gb one of these (from a jet figher allegedly) and stuck it in his PII
as Windows swap space. His machine ran NICE!

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk