[Gllug] performance difference between a swap partition vs a swap file.>>>>>

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 10:40:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 09:54:36AM +0000, Steve Kemp wrote:
>   At Bytemark all our machines have been installed and configured
>  with file-based swap for at least the past year.

What file system type do these swap files live in ?

>   The previous block layer used to mean swap partitions were
>  "better".  But on the whole this advantage has disappeared
>  these days, and when you've got a system performing so badly
>  it is swapping in the first place all performance issues are
>  irrelevant.

+1
Swap is good for things like 'getty' that are started and hardly ever used.
It is also good for when something goes wrong and starts eating RAM,
gives your system a chance to live until you sort things out.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk