[Gllug] [OFFTOPIC] Re: Vista vs seven

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Fri Dec 11 22:04:46 UTC 2009

Hello Peter,

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 04:02:18PM +0000, Peter Childs wrote:
> 2009/12/8 Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org>:
> > Linux User Groups are no longer useful.  It's a mainstream technology
> > now, so LUGs do not offer the special advantages (networking,
> > hard-to-get technical advice and expertise) they once did.  Bitching is
> > about all that's left.
>
> Not true.

Agreed; there are still plenty of people who find it easier to
discuss things either with people they know are geographically
close, or in person at a meeting.

> I think the issue with Gllug is that its too big and has a lack of
> leadership (to organise meets etc),

Are you volunteering?  In communities like this, things tend to
get achieved by people who just do them, not by people who bikeshed
about them.  If you organised a meeting I'm sure people would come,
but it's no good just complaining that there is no organisation.

> We also have a load of people who think they know everything and
> will not accept the beginners and accept that we were all
> beginners once.

GLLUG is indeed one of the more flamey lists I'm on, but it also has
some of the most useful threads.  I have not seen anyone who fails
to get help just because they're not already experts.  I've seen
plenty who refuse to accept community norms, and these often become
the largest and most irrelevant threads.

I read most of GLLUG with ctrl-r (mark thread read in mutt).

> In short too many Indians and not enough Chiefs.

Be the chief that you want to see, Ranting Bear.

Cheers,
Andy

>> I have just recently purchased a Feathercraft Big Kahuna kayak
> does it have a heater?
Of course not.  Everyone knows you can't have your kayak and heat it.
  -- James Fidell