[Gllug] Technology and UK Education

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Thu Dec 31 09:15:40 UTC 2009

On Wed 30 Dec, silver wrote:

> Here you have a link to an interesting solution for schools:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick

   Unfortunately the first thing to do is persuade people to even take a
look at FOSS. Linux discs are included with computer magazines. I have given
away literally hundreds of Knoppix discs which obviously cost far less than
memory sticks. It is much easier to boot more computers from Knoppix than a
memory stick. I am sure that the vast majority never see another computer,
although they are appreciated by the few people who have tried them.
   A local laptop repair company has placed a Debian/KDE machine in their
customer reception area so that customers can enter details and view
progress via the company website, and that has generated more obvious
interest than the Knoppix discs, once the customers are told that it is not
running Microsoft.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk