[Gllug] performance difference between a swap partition vs a swap file.>>>>>

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 10:46:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:39:23AM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
> 33GB swap partition sounds insane, perhaps you have a very large amount of

I still hear people saying ''I allocate as much swap as I have RAM''.
I have never understood this rule of thumb, it *was* probably OK for the very
first install of a new system of which you have no clue how much resources
it is going to use because you have never seen it before.

These days for most commercial systems: allocate 2GB of RAM - just in case
things go wrong, the price of 2GB disk is tiny, the cost of running out of RAM
is high.

You should not expect to see much swap used at all (just things like getty
live there). If you are using a lot of swap then your system is prob running like
a dog and you should get more RAM or split the load onto another machine.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk