[Gllug] Camcorders

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 18:55:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 10:17:42 +0000 - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not aware of any that are truly Linux friendly. They all seem to
> record in encumbered formats. This isn't entirely surprising, but it
> does mean that to play back on CentOS, you'll need to install
> something like mplayer or find a gstreamer plugin to handle the
> appropriate audio and video codecs.

I have a Sony HandyCam which records in mpg format and looks like an
external disk to my SuSE PC. I thought that's what they all did these
days.

I'm fine with this camcorder, but I daresay there are others which are
equally good and there may be better value for money out there. I'm not
an expert and I haven't fully investigated. I just bought the best one
that seemed to be on offer when I went looking for one,

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk