[Gllug] HackerSpace

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Thu Dec 10 11:06:21 UTC 2009

Lesley wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 09:53:17AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>    There was interest a while ago in obtaining HackerSpace for a group of
>> enthusiasts, while I am interested in providing help for beginners. Has
>> there been any progress?
>>    I attended a local area Forum meeting last night which received a talk by
>> a representative of the government and EU backed "Park Royal Partnership"
>> covering the largest industrial area in Europe, saying that they are
>> interested in working with the community to provide facilities. I have
>> agreed to contact their representative to discuss suggestions.
>>

> Hi Chris
>
> I'm replying off list atm
>
> I have not yet been to Hacker Space nites which are in East London but they
> seem to be a hackspace for geeks probably in employement given they seem to
> require regular subscriptions and/or on-the-night donations.

Having seen hackspaces in both London (non-commercial style) and New
York (commercial style) I really don't think the former even begin to
compare. The London hackspace was a room in a cold squat with about 20
junk computers, some perpetually unfulfilled plans and very little else,
the one in NY (NYC resistor) is a beautiful vibrant space with a huge
array of cool tools, events and visiting teachers, speakers and classes.

Sadly there weren't that many free classes and events but at the end of
the day stuff costs money and doesn't tend to happen without it. I don't
think it's sustainable to try and build a hackerspace without
subscriptions and fees. The main point point of such places is to get
access to space and tools that most individuals can't afford
individually but can collectively, concessions can always be offered to
the unwaged / disadvantaged.

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk