[Gllug] Podcasts

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 11:26:48 UTC 2009

2009/12/3 Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk>:
> general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>

>> The point is that I can learn stuff while I'm using my eyes and hands
>> for other things like washing up, cleaning, driving, fixing computers
>> and all the other times it isn't convenient to have to focus on a screen
>> and roll a scroll wheel.
>
> About the only thing you'll ever gain from a podcast is a 'tip' most of
> them are not designed to be an educational medium.
>
> Nine times out of ten the information or views are at worse wrong or at
> the very least misguided. For me I tend to listen to them for
> entertainment value, something to pass the time while driving to work or
> walking the dog.

I guess I can see the point if you have dead time on a commute

- personally I cycle to work and talk to my wife while washing up :-)

I'm sure tech podcasts have a place - but I hate it when they replace
the written word

Sometimes people  just record a chat and put it online as that's
easier than writing - and editing!

I'm thinking particularly of the lullabot podcasts on Drupal

For a company that wants to be seen as at the forefront of the
community I find these to be very low quality - and a vastly inferior
contribution to the same content in a searchable format.

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk