[Gllug] Technology and UK Education

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Wed Dec 30 12:48:49 UTC 2009

On Wed 30 Dec, Walter Stanish wrote:

> I'm not sure if you have them in this country but in Australia there's a
> sort of 'parent and citizen' group associated with each government school
> which has some degree of lobbying power as the representative body of the
> local community in school administrative affairs.
>
> If one were to present alternatives to costlier options and/or donate
> services through such a group, then it may provide a viable legal route
> around the oppressive, innovation stifling, centralised bureaucratic
> regime that you describe.
>
> - Walter

   It was the introduction of parent governors, many of whom had their own
business interests, that marked a change from general education about
computing and computer techniques to specific education about using the
latest Microsoft offering because it took some effort from employers to
teach the use of packages such as Microsoft Word.
   A few years ago I was asked to attend a small discission group at BETT to
ascertain the views of visitors. One teacher said that she had just been
told that she had been made head of the IT department, knew nothing about
the subject, so had come along to find out.
   I understand that some schools are interested, subject to financial
restrictions. I have spemt some time trying to get some sense out of my
local council, but had to start by trying to educate the education
department.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk