[Gllug] LyX/TeX question

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Tue Dec 29 09:28:05 UTC 2009

> I need to draw things such as finite automata, logic gates, boolean
> equations etc

For finite automata and logic gates, consider graphviz.  (My second
recommendation would be Dia, though that's already been suggested.)

Graphviz is *really* great!  Basically you define a simple text file
called a 'DOT file' with nodes and their relationships / labels /
properties.  Graphviz ties them all together and outputs SVG/PNG/EPS/
HTML image maps (eg: if you want clickable components)...

For some examples see:
 http://www.ryandesign.com/canviz/

These ones are visualised using a javascript-based DOT renderer,
typically though you'd use graphviz to render.

The syntax can be a bit of a pain to come to terms with once you
start doing larger and more complex layouts and want specific things
to happen, but the source is out there...

Recently I made a little tool using graphviz to visualise the
relationships (explicit through foreign keys or assumed) in a MySQL
database direct from a mysqldump file: http://code.google.com/p/mysqlviz

Enjoy

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk