[Gllug] Camcorders

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue Dec 8 13:12:14 UTC 2009

JLMS wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:58 PM,  <damion.yates at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Jason Clifford wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I've been doing video stuff for leasure, on Linux only, for years,
>> Making SVCDs then DVDs with fancy menus etc.  I now just leave files on
>> my DNLA serving NAS for playback on the PS3.  Its is a very time
>> consuming hobby, especially making stuff work on Linux, however I have
>> friends with Windows and MacOS and it _really_ doesn't get any easier.
>>
>> Damion
>>

> For video editing, Final Cut Pro in OSX  is just overwhelmingly
> superior to anything else out there.
>
> I love Linux, it is what I use every day, but when it comes to proper
> video editing, Linux is not there yet ( I have edited several short
> films in the last few months, I can't imagine I would have managed to
> do the same with Linux unfortunately).
>
> I have not tried the cheaper version (Final Cut Pro Express) but if it
> works as well as its big brother for the basic features, it should be
> more than enough for anybody.
>
> So in synthesis, I don't know what your friends using OSX are smoking :-)

He's right Final Cut is a very good package. IMHO Sony Vegas on the PC
is better though (if your criterion is simple, zero baggage, super fast
workflow). Having said that Kdenlive is really coming along nicely
(seemingly inspired by the Vegas paradigm). If I had a shred of spare
time I'd love to get involved in the project - it's linux's best hope at
getting a credible free NLE package together.

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk