[Gllug] [OT] Odd PSU / connector

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Dec 8 15:39:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 15:26 +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com
wrote:
> Dan wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:11 PM, general_email at technicalbloke.com <
> > general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Picture here... http://www.technicalbloke.com/12v5v.jpg
> >>
> >> I have one of those connectors for an 3.5" HDD enclosure. Is it possible
> >>
> > that as there are 4 pins that there are 2 power rails as per Molex -
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector
> >
> > I'd buy a cheap external HDD enclosure with a compatible lead.  That will
> > cost you less than £40.00.
> >
> > BTW have you tried opening the PSU and seeing if their are any voltage or
> > amperage information on the board?
> >
> > Dan
> >

> Having looked on ebay there's several standard pin layouts  and voltages
> for this type of connector e.g. 12v+5v, 12v, 19v, -12v+12v. Ones that
> look bulky enough to run a small PC & drive seem to be around £35 but I
> don't want to risk A) The cash or B) Frying the machine. I guess my last
> hope is to either contact the manufacturer or find another one of these
> boxes and get the PSU details from the owner. Sadly there's no useful
> markings on the board or even on the casing :/

Roger

I'm back in London at the weekend, and if you're not the other end of
the world, I could take a look (with my electronic engineer's hat on),
have a little continuity test with a multimeter, and work out what the
pins do!  Designing a simple, cheap PSU would then be simple (though we
might choose to change the obscure 4-pin connector!).

Drop me a mail off-list, and I'll see if I can help.

Regards

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk