[Gllug] [OT] Odd PSU / connector

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue Dec 8 15:26:19 UTC 2009

Dan wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:11 PM, general_email at technicalbloke.com <
> general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
>

>> Picture here... http://www.technicalbloke.com/12v5v.jpg
>>
>> I have one of those connectors for an 3.5" HDD enclosure. Is it possible
>>
> that as there are 4 pins that there are 2 power rails as per Molex -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector
>
> I'd buy a cheap external HDD enclosure with a compatible lead.  That will
> cost you less than £40.00.
>
> BTW have you tried opening the PSU and seeing if their are any voltage or
> amperage information on the board?
>
> Dan

Having looked on ebay there's several standard pin layouts  and voltages
for this type of connector e.g. 12v+5v, 12v, 19v, -12v+12v. Ones that
look bulky enough to run a small PC & drive seem to be around £35 but I
don't want to risk A) The cash or B) Frying the machine. I guess my last
hope is to either contact the manufacturer or find another one of these
boxes and get the PSU details from the owner. Sadly there's no useful
markings on the board or even on the casing :/

Cheers,

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk