[Gllug] performance difference between a swap partition vs a swap file.>>>>>

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Dec 3 23:53:22 UTC 2009

On 2 Dec 2009, Alain Williams said:

> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:39:23AM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
>> 33GB swap partition sounds insane, perhaps you have a very large amount of
>
> I still hear people saying ''I allocate as much swap as I have RAM''.
> I have never understood this rule of thumb, it *was* probably OK for the very
> first install of a new system of which you have no clue how much resources
> it is going to use because you have never seen it before.

I use this for one of my systems because I suspend it to swap with
tuxonice and I'd like to be able to suspend even if I've got some stuff
swapped out. Also it has oceans of disk space so a few tens of Gb blown
in swap is really not a problem (or even noticeable).

(You *can* suspend to a file on the filesystem, but it's much more
complex to set up.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk