[Gllug] Software for on-line sales?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 09:05:15 UTC 2009

general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> 'OS Commerce' is the most widely know online shopping cart software.
> I've never used it myself though so I have no idea if it would be
> suitable for your friends business. It's GPL though so it wouldn't cost
> you anything to take a look.

OK choices are as has been said

1. OS Commerce (Its OK but Meh IMO)
2. VirtueMart (You'll have to have a Joomla sight as well for this)
3. ZenCart (We use this and I hate it)
4. Actinic http://tinyurl.com/y86x7yr (Which is very good but
proprietary and you'll need a Windows client machine but as to be
expected integrates with most things)

I've used all three of these over the years there are loads of other
FOSS variants out there but your problems are not going to be the 'shop'
other than customisation ability, your problems will be with payment
integration with your accounting package and stock control

If you (Or your friends) are happy to do this manually I.e. update stock
levels, input purchases into Sage? then all of the above can be
installed today and you could have something rough and ready 'live'
within half a day.

There are plugins for most of these online shops to integrate with lets
say Sage however experience has taught me that assistance is generally
required to get them working for example (about 3 years ago) we ran a
VirtueMart shop that had a PayPal plugin but we had to get someone in to
  hack the code as it did not work.

Hope that helps

--
Regards