[Gllug] tv tuner with hdmi input

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Dec 10 20:44:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 14:31 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote

> The build quality I am sure is fine, it's not broken down yet.

Actually, it has! The faults you describe are significant failures.

> But here are times when it will randomly reboot itself ( happened
> twice last week ). On other occasions I've had it lose timesync and
> stop recording programs at odd points [not cool when you miss the
> last 5 overs of a 20/20 game :( ].

I'm certainly with you there!  Not a good state of affairs - and
definitely a significant failure, though I'm certain that Sky will blame
your inability to operate it correctly!

> There have also been situations where it will keep running, but lose the
> signal to the TV. This one was hard to work out what was going on -
> while watching a show, suddenly everything would go blank. After a few
> weeks we replaced it with a Dell 22" monitor I have, and that also had
> the same black-outs, but came up with a handy 'no-signal' message.

I'm told that this is quite a common problem.

> Power cycling the sky hd+ box resolved the situation.

That suggests that either the firmware's flaky (probable) or that
there's a thermal problem with the electronics.  You could eliminate the
possibility of the thermal problem by making sure that there's a good
air gap around all sides of the thing, and that it's away from other
sources of heat (and NOT placed on top of the TV!).

> So, yes. plenty of 'issues'. Hard to reliably reproduce, so sky
> engineers seem to think were just mad.

Not at all - they just can't be bothered with trying to deal with real,
intermittent faults.  Also, I can assure you that the people you've
talked to aren't "engineers" at all - though they might represent
themselves as such.  They're clueless installers and telesales drones
and know much less about the equipment than you do!

If you get no joy out of them (and it's probable that you won't), you
might have to break the machine so that it doesn't work at all, and get
them to replace it.  That way you should get the updated version!
You'll just have to be careful to make your vandalism subtle enough to
prevent them realising what's gone on!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk