[Gllug] Help with wifi - CORRECTION

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Dec 5 19:50:52 UTC 2009

Alain Williams wrote:
> I was looking at the wrong box,
>
> it is NOT a TL-WA601G, but a Dynamode BR-6004W-G-N Cable Broadband Router
>
> 	http://www.dynamode-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69:br-6004w-g-n&catid=35:routers-cable&Itemid=53
>
> Sorry
>
> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 04:31:42PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
>
>> Outline:
>> I have put in a wifi router at my parents' house, it works with
>> http (port 80), but not https (port 443).
>>
>> The details:
>> They are connected to the Internet via broadband provider tiscali/talk-talk.
>> This connection also gives them television and the set top box has a UTP socket.
>> Connect a PC to it and you get an IP address like: 80.44.162.XXX.
>>
>> They wanted more than one PC at a time connected and also Wifi so I got a
>> TP-LINK TL-WA601G - this has one incoming UTP (that I connect to the set top box)
>> and 4 outgoing UTPs, one of which is connected to a Ubuntu box - this works
>> perfectly - I can connect anywhere: ssh, http, https.
>>
>> The TL-WA601G has a DHCP server, the Ubuntu box gets something in the range that
>> I set up.
>>
>> The TL-WA601G also has wifi ability, my sister can connect from her Win XP laptop
>> and browse the web without issue until, this is the issue, she tries to use
>> https - at which point the connection times out.
>>
>> If she plugs her laptop into the TL-WA601G with a UTP cable - it all works,
>> ie https works as well.
>>
>> I have not changed any of the NAT/firewall settings from default, I did not
>> feel the need. I have looked through the settings many times and cannot see anything
>> that talks about port numbers ... that I set anything.
>>
>> I am mystified. Why on wifi should port 80 work, but not port 443;
>> but when directly plugged in - everthing work ?
>>
>> Any advice gratefully received.
>>
>> TIA

Hmm, that's a puzzling one. My first hunch would be imperfect firmware
that was inadequately tested before being shipped, esp as it's not a big
name brand. I wonder if it's struggling to handle the WiFi encryption
you have set (WPA2 right?) along side starting up https sessions and is
running out of memory / crashing when it tries.

Does it still happen with lesser / no encryption set?

Cheers,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk