[Gllug] Camalyn Vacancy Posts

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 3 13:53:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Juergen Schinker
<ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> wrote:

>> I have got all my UK jobs via agencies ...
>>
>> One has to learn to read between the lines of their postings.
>>
>>> Matthew
>

> that says a lot about you...

What does it say exactly?

> you should learn to get a job without agencies

That is a very curious and , dare I say, bold assertion, keeping in
mind that you don't know me at all.

I got jobs in other countries via friends, relatives, previous
acquaintances or by pure serendipity, I am sure most people get jobs
by a combination of all these sources and others,  here in the UK I
get offers by other means but so far they haven't been as desirable
for me as jobs that have come via agencies.

It is also worth  pointing out that some of the better paid jobs
(60k+)  will come to one *only* via agencies or head hunters. Ignoring
these sources may deprive one of good oportunities,  it is needless to
say that many big companies have an official recruitment agency, for
both permanent and contracting personnel, so if you don't go through
them you simply will not work for that company.

I despair to think that solid Engineers and technicians ignore this
resource like if they were some kind of disease. Granted, there are
agencies that are rubbish, but there are others that save you time and
effort while you are job hunting and that open doors that otherwise
would remain closed.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk